Skip to content

Texas or Bama?

January 7, 2010

Well, I’m alive. 

Everything went OK yesterday.  They put me under at about 8 AM and I was done and in recovery by 9 AM.  I was really groggy from the anesthesia and drifted in and out of sleep for about an hour while Matt talked to the doctor and then took me home.  He brought me a Key Lime Pie Larabar, which I sleepily ate in the car on the ride home. I slept from the time we got home until about 4 PM, then begrudgingly got up.  I probably could have slept all night but felt like I should get up and eat something.

At first, I didn’t feel hungry at all and food wasn’t appealing despite the fact that I hadn’t eaten for nearly 3 days.

But eventually, hunger kicked in and I ate some leftover pizza from Sunday (note to self:  GF pizza does not stay good as long in the fridge as gluteny pizza).


It was much better after being zapped for a minute, which is kind of sad because I really do enjoy cold pizza. 

And not too long after I wolfed down the pizza, I spotted some soup I made this past weekend in the fridge (I’m still trying to figure out how to fit it in the freezer… we need to start eating out of our freezers [we have 2 fridge/freezer combos and a deep freeze] if we want to be able to close the doors) and decided to have it, too.


This is my take on Rachael Ray’s Chicken Provencal Soup – triple the veggies, no potatoes, shredded instead of cubed chicken breast.

Kind of like chicken noodle soup when you have a cold: chicken veggie soup when you’re recovering from getting a tube stuck down your esophagus.

This kept the hunger at bay for most of the rest of the night.  I did break for salsa and guacamole with Almond Nut Thins, but apparently didn’t take a picture.  What can I say, I was still half asleep.

Despite sleeping all day, I was tired enough to go to bed at midnight and slept until 8 this morning.  I had expected to feel well enough to go into work today, but I felt pretty awful last night and throughout today until this afternoon.  I finally feel a good bit better now.

I haven’t been all that hungry today either.  Did not eating for 3 days trick my body into thinking I didn’t need much food?  I hope not.

I had a coconut cream pie Larabar that also escaped photograph.  I guess there isn’t much mystery to what it looks like.

For ‘lunch’, I had more salsa + guac with Almond Nut Thins.  I’m going to have to blame my SIL Amanda for buying these for me and getting me hooked.  :)  I can’t complain – the nutritional stats aren’t bad and you get 16 crackers for 130 calories.


We set about making dinner and I set about making some green juice.  I’d bought a knob of ginger to make my green lemonades more interesting and had forgotten about it.

Sadly, I accidentally deleted half the pictures I took off my camera when uploading them a few minutes ago.  So you’re just going to have to imagine what green juice looks like.  (Hint:  it’s liquid and green)

It contained:

  • 1/2 head romaine
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • about an inch of ginger
  • 1/4 lemon
  • 1/2 small apple
  • stevia

I made double to put in the fridge for tomorrow because it keeps decently well for a couple days.  It doesn’t take much time to juice, but it does take time to set up the juicer and then clean it afterwards.

For dinner, we made NY Strips with Parmesean Peppercorn sauce, brussels, and zucchini chips.


I went a little crazy with the sauce and scraped about 2/3 of this off after taking the picture. 

The sauce was simple and amazing, although not low-cal.

  • 3/4 c. light sour cream
  • 1/2 c. mayo
  • 3/4 c. fresh grated parm
  • 1/4 c. soymilk (regular milk would work; soymilk was what we had)
  • tons of pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • fresh parsley, minced

This was delicious with the steak and made a boatload, so we’ll be using it on other things in the coming days.  Matt kept adding a little more of this and a little more of that and before we knew it, we had sauce coming out our ears.  I would cut the measurements in half when we make it again.

The brussels and zucchini chips were done at 400* for about 35 minutes. 

Finally, I can have wine again, so I’ll be pouring myself a glass and getting some chocolate chips while we watch the National Championship game.  I hate to say it, but I’m kind of rooting for Texas, which is blasphemy when you’re a Sooner.  :)  Actually, I like Bama too so it’s going to be one of those games where I’m happy for whoever wins. 

Back to the office tomorrow.  It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve been in my routine.  I’m ready to get back to it!

8 Comments leave one →
  1. January 7, 2010 9:49 PM

    I am glad to hear that your procedure went well… I hope that the results come back better than you expected!! I hope that you have a great day tomorrow at work and then a nice relaxing weekend!!

  2. January 7, 2010 11:53 PM

    I am glad you are ok! Sorry that you felt horrible after – but I hope the wine and chocolate chips solve all! 🙂

  3. January 8, 2010 5:48 AM

    Glad to hear everything went well! I hope your hunger is back 100% today. Your brussels looks so good. I want to go pick some up and make them for lunch 🙂

  4. January 8, 2010 6:02 AM

    Glad everything went well. I was going to text you but I figured you were sleeping. When I had that done I slept all day 🙂

  5. January 8, 2010 9:46 AM

    I wasn’t really cheering for either team, but it was a good game! I didn’t make it through the whole thing, though. that 8:30 kickoff was too late over on the east coast!

    I’m glad everything went well!

  6. tastyeatsathome permalink
    January 8, 2010 9:55 AM

    I hope the docs can figure out how to alleviate the issues you’ve been having after your procedure. Glad it went well! That steak looks good, even with “too much” sauce!

  7. January 8, 2010 9:57 AM

    Brussels sprouts have stolen my heart 🙂 yours look perfect, too, just the right amount of burned-crunchy parts!

  8. Emily permalink
    January 8, 2010 7:37 PM

    Glad everything went smoothly!!! That sauce does sound delish.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: